Monday, June 25, 2007

Still Thinking . . .

Well, it's been over a week since my last post and I was hoping to have some progress in my definitions to report, but unfortunately, it's still not coming to me. Maybe it won't come for a couple of more months?

But, just like painting, the process can sometimes be more important than the outcome, so as I'm having to discover what's most important to me in art and the reason for doing it, I've been finding old journals and entries that remind me of what was passionate to me at that time in my life. And one quote I came across today was one that I used to hang in the art room of my old art studio in San Diego. I taped it to the exit door and wanted my students to read it as they left to be encouraged and reassured of themselves and their art. It always lifted me.

"To make art is to sing with the human voice. To do this you must first learn that the only voice you need is the voice you already have. Art work is ordinary work, but it takes courage to embrace that work, and wisdom to mediate the interplay of art and fear. Sometimes to see your work's rightful place you have to walk to the edge of the precipice and search the deep chasms. You have to see that the universe is not formless and dark throughout, but awaits the revealing light of your own mind." ~ Art & Fear by Bayles and Orland
Any artists out there want to share your definition of success when it comes to your art? What do you paint or create for? What motivates you?

No comments: