Thursday, July 26, 2012

What Do You Have to Trade?

While looking through my collection of paintings this week, and realizing that they're not doing any good just sitting in a garage, I decided to distribute to my friends the ones that I'm ready to let go of. Some are from when I lived in San Diego, others are from when I first moved to Lancaster in 2006. They all have a story to tell and the stories have been kept silent for too long.

So, for the next few weeks I'll be uploading these paintings one at a time to my blog. I will let them go to a new home in exchange for what you have to trade. It may be something small like a book or a bottle of wine, or maybe theater tickets, a canoe or a service that you could offer from your business. Be creative! This is an incredible opportunity to own an original piece of art.

When you see a painting you'd like, list the painting and your item for trade in the comments section below. I'll choose the best one and announce the winner on the blog. Don't forget to check back regularly.

"Naivety"
40" x 40" | Acrylic on canvas
This is a pretty old painting, but it still gets me every time I look at it. How dangerous it is to think we know it all. It is a privilege to have people speaking into our lives, especially pastors and mature Christians who have way more experience than us. So don't ever take people like that for granted. Every day we make a choice to respond to what the world has to say or what the Spirit says. What a waste of time to listen to the world. Speaking from experience, it's truly not worth it in the end.



"Flow"
18" x 24" each | Acrylic on canvas (framed)
I painted these pieces within the first couple months of moving to Lancaster from San Diego. My heart was aching for the chance to just drive to the beach (which I lived minutes away from my whole life) to breath in the fresh air that could calm me in a matter of seconds. To watch the beauty of each breaking wave and the seagulls flying above was therapy for me. I could now understand why they said Southern Californians are so laid back. It's a completely different world over here on the East Coast, but I'm okay with that. Still, I needed to get back to my roots of finding beauty in God's beautiful creation everywhere, enjoy His peace overwhelming my soul and just go with the flow in the midst of uncertain change. 



"Seeing Through"
16" x 20" | Acrylic on canvas
What do you see when you look at this girl? Is she crying or laughing? I loved using this painting as a conversation piece to ask why people saw the emotion they did. Was there something in their life right now that made them see her as crying or laughing? Maybe they needed to see someone enjoying a good laugh to lift their spirits and that's why they saw what they did. Either way, it drew a lot of emotion from people and I loved being able to witness that.
-TRADED ALREADY-




"She Sells Sea Shells by the Sea Shore"
16" x 20" | Acrylic on canvas board
For the love of the ocean and the beauty of wet, colorful shells.  
-TRADED ALREADY-



"Shield of Faith"
36" x 24" | Acrylic on Canvas
This painting was done for a sermon series based on Ephesians 6:10-18, where we are called to put on the full armor of God in order to take a stand against the devil's schemes. This one is a reminder to always put on the shield of faith in order to fight off all attacks from the evil one. As soon as you see them coming your way, you have the power and will be given the strength to fight them off with the Spirit's help before they penetrate your heart. Stand firm and pray in the Spirit on all occasions.






No comments: