Friday, August 22, 2008

The Sweet Smell of Ocean Beach


I'm going home tomorrow! And I can already taste the sweet smell of the West Coast's salt water and Mexican food. Why fast food mexican restaurants haven't hit the East Coast yet just baffles me. What can be better than a Carne Asada burrito with sour cream ready in 5 minutes for you to carry out? I guess not having the warm sun and beach down the street to eat it at while watching the surf isn't exactly easy to do when you live in Pennsylvania.

And then, where can you go to get a quick white chocolate mocha with the best whipped cream on top delivered right to you in your car? Only at Ciggi's in Ocean Beach. Everyone working there is Brazilian, so it's never hard to convince Andy to go.

And where else can you go to just sit and be alone with God while watching his amazing creative hands transform the colors of the horizon at sunset, perfectly contrasting the color of the ocean so you get color combinations that no artist can ever imitate. Oh yeah, and all the while watching surfers from ages 6 - 65 head down to the water and be one with the waves.

No where else can you experience all this in one day and truly understand what it's like to have grown up in the small town feel of San Diego. I'll never get sick of people asking me why I moved here from there because it just shows how even those who have never been there know just how awesome it is. You won't find that with any other city in the US. So, I'll always be proud to call San Diego home, and wherever God puts me, I'll always bring a little of it with me.

No comments: